Dealing With Neighbor Issues (Nuisances, Safety, Trash, Poor Maintenance)
Argay Terrace is like every other neighborhood, every now and then a problem will come up: abandoned cars, damaged street signs, street lights that are out, possible criminal activity, neglected property, potholes, speeders, traffic, etc. Your Association hears about some of the problems, but usually after weeks have gone by. In many other cases, our neighbors just put up with them. You shouldn’t have to.
- You and your neighbors have to be the “First Responders” and this is the method that we have found will get the fastest results:
- Talk to a few of your neighbors and see if you can work together.
- Sometimes if it is a property related problem like noise, trash, or poor maintenance, just talking with that neighbor and maybe giving them a hand will solve the problem
- If that does not work, or if it is a city related problem, use the numbers below to report the problem, but use a system. City staff responds best to “numbers”. If several neighbors call over a period of time, it is seen as a more serious “neighborhood problem”, not just one “crank” calling to complain. Arrange for one person to call and if there is no result after a week, have another neighbor call. No result, repeat (perhaps more frequently) until the problem is resolved.
- This may take some time, but polite respectful calls from several neighbors concerning the same problem can generally get action. Understand that most of these departments suffered severe staff cuts during the Recession and those cuts have not been fully restored. Most of the people you talk to want to help solve your problem, but often there may be a several week backlog.
We are currently looking for a new Safety and Livability Chair, if interested in being a recourse for neighbors to call please let us know.
Resource Phone Numbers:
The Main Information and Referral Number: 503-823-4000 – City/County Information and Help
Specialized Direct Lines:
- Emergency Number: 911
- Police: Non-emergency: 503-823-3333
- Neighborhood Officer: Bob Boylan: 503-823-5700
- Crime Prevention (Home Security Evaluation): Meg Juarez: 503-823-4098
- Park Enforcement: 503-823-5195
- Drug and Vice Hotline: 503-823-3784
- Child Abuse Hotline: 503-731-3000
- Portland Parks/Security Issues: 503-823-5459
- Neighborhood Nuisance: 503-823-2633
- Noise Hotline: 503-823-7350
- Graffiti: (text/photo): 503-823-8700 Phone: 503-823-4824
- Abandoned Vehicles: 503-823-7309
- Traffic Hazards: 503-823-7233
- Street Light Out: 503-823-5216
- Pothole/Street Repair: 503-823-2667
- Illegally Parked Cars: 503-823-5195
- Multnomah County Animal Services: 503-988-3066